This is to help everyone get started here. You can add your own single post below [reply to reserve it now] and then edit it at will. To report exceptional problems, email .
A. To newcomers:
- Before you try puplets (user-built versions), get started with the official releases or Barry's long-term-supported release. Puppy Linux is small (100+ MB) and easy to play with.
- Get help from a friend or Internet cafe to download and burn to CD a Puppy Linux ISO of your choice (small CD or DVD will do). Or you can request them to install Puppy to a USB flash drive (or SD card if your laptop can use it) instead of CD/DVD. Further ask them to show you how to change booting of the PC/laptop to start from CD/DVD drive or flash drive.
- Puppy Linux has explanatory notes in most of its scripts and Help in the menu, so start there. Also read the wikka wiki or do a search.
- If the problem will not go away (even after a reboot or consulting a friend), try registering here and describe your PC, the Puppy version you are using, and how the problem happened.
- When you register here, use your email address that has no filters or blockers so that you can receive your emailed password. Use the emailed information to login.
- To change your password, click on your name at the top, near "Welcome" then on "Edit". Type your new password in the two boxes and click on "Update Profile".
- See some starting links (click here). About links, when you make a post, do not simply post a link - provide an explanation or description with it - as you risk being marked a spammer (Note that this board uses Akismet service for spam control).
- Try to search first, or follow the tags at the left, to find what you need. If that does not help, start a topic with an informative title, describe your problem and setup in detail (include the Puppy build and version number), and tag your post with a key word or phrase.
B. To oldtimers:
- Focus on the problem (it must be in the software, not in the person :), and help classify threads by tagging your post with an appropriate word or phrase (this will be added to the thread's tags).
- If somehow you are lost, encountered a spam, or think that your last post is missing, report it here.
- You have one (1) year to edit your post, and there is a 30-second pause before you can post again (this is anti-spam precaution).
- There is no Preview button for your post, but the Edit button works fast.
- There is no topic subscription via email, as the board is easy to check.
- Use free hosting for your file (try datafilehost or tinypic) - someone will put that file in one of the repositories if it is useful.
- The width of images used here must be less than 450 px (to avoid distorting the layout).
- Clicking on a member's title (under his name) will show all his posts - and this can help you, too, to get back quickly to your previous posts (you can also click on your user name at the top).
C. To Mods/Admins:
- Registration here is already protected from spambots by the "human test" plugin, so please give the new member the benefit of the doubt.
- If spam does get in, click on the Spam button below the post so that the Akismet anti-spam can track spam behavior.
- There is no urgency in creating more sections here, as the board uses a tagging system that essentially works as categorization.
- Thanks a lot for helping!
D. To all, please give each other an extra ounce of respect - if you forget, the Mods and Admins will be around to help with the Edit and Delete buttons - THIS APPLIES ESPECIALLY TO OFF-TOPIC POSTS.
E. POSTS THAT DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO HELPING PUPPY LINUX USERS OR DEVELOPERS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING.
E. NO WARRANTY IS IMPLIED OR EXPRESSED ABOUT THE ADVICE GIVEN IN THIS FORUM, AND BY POSTING HERE, YOU ASSUME SOLE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR POSTS, I.E., THE FORUM OWNER, WHO PROVIDES THIS SERVICE FOR FREE, SHALL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS. ADDRESS ALL COMPLAINTS TO .